[Rd] unedited copy/paste from install.packages man page to update.packages man page

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Fri Nov 2 01:13:05 CET 2012

Hi,

Found in the man page for update.packages:

    repos: character vector, the base URL(s) of the repositories to use,
           i.e., the URL of the CRAN master such as
           ‘"http://cran.r-project.org"’ or its Statlib mirror,
           ‘"http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN"’.Can be ‘NULL’ to install
           from local files (‘.tar.gz’ for source packages).

- Using "e.g." instead of "i.e." would seem more appropriate.

- But more importantly, is repos = NULL really supported for
   update.packages? I wonder where I need to place the local files
   for this to work. I tried to put them in the current working
   directory but that didn't work:

     > packageVersion("BSgenome")
     [1] ‘1.27.1’
     > dir()
     [1] "BSgenome_2.0.0.tar.gz"
     > update.packages(repos=NULL)

   This description of the 'repos' arg looks more like a copy/paste from
   the man page for install.packages that needed some edit.

- Another copy/paste is the \examples section for update.packages that
   shows in fact an example for install.packages, which is the same
   example that is shown in the man page for install.packages.

Could those minor things be corrected?

Thanks,
H.

--