[Rd] Can't install.packages() from local repo in 2.15.2

Imanuel Costigan i.costigan at me.com
Mon Nov 5 11:16:23 CET 2012

Hi Prof. Ripley,

There is in fact a parallel source repository (see my initial email):

L:/R/src/contrib

I had also run tools:write_PACKAGES() therein, generating an empty PACKAGES file as I have chosen not to release source packages.

I would like to make two comments.

First, I believe the behaviour of install.packages isn't documented in at least the case that I found myself in. Namely, when the source package doesn't exist (and the src tree does exist), but the binary does, then the binary cannot be installed. Unless, of course, you specify the option install.packages.check.source = FALSE. I can confirm that this does resolve my error.

> For binary installs, the function also checks for the availability of a source package on the same repository, and reports if the source package has a later version, or is available but no binary version is.

Second, the error message could be improved to better specify what is causing the problem.

> Warning in install.packages : package ‘anRpackage’ is not available (for R version 2.15.2)

This is a bit vague. My suggestion, would be for the error message, in the case I found myself in, to read something like:

> Warning in install.packages : package 'anRpackage' is not available in the source tree

The R version number is a red-herring, except to the extent that this check didn't (appear to) occur in R 2.15.1. But given that most users will know they are using R 2.15.2 and that the repo structure doesn't require you to drill down past 2.15, this ending doesn't make much sense to me.

In any case, thanks for your hard work in giving us such great software to use. I really appreciate it.