[Rd] Comments in the DESCRIPTION file

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:53:46 CET 2012

On 12-11-07 4:26 AM, Christophe Genolini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to add comments in the DESCRIPTION file?

The read.dcf function is used to read the DESCRIPTION file, and it
doesn't support comments.  (The current Debian control format
description does appear to support comments with leading # markers, but
R's read.dcf function doesn't support these.)

You could probably get away with something like

#: this is a comment

since unrecognized fields are ignored, but I think this fact is
undocumented so I would say it's safer to assume that comments are not
supported.

Duncan Murdoch