[Rd] Non-recursive way to remove empty directory on Windows?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 30 12:51:59 CET 2012

    >>> (even worse, path may contain '..' or
    >>> likewise from a list.files(all.names=TRUE) call)

    >> Would anyone's code break if "." and ".." were never in the output of
    >> list.files() (or dir())?  I find it tedious to skip them
    >> whenever doing anything recursive in the file system.  They are
    >> not in the output of the unix find command and no one misses them
    >> there.

    > At first, I've tended to agree with your implicit proposal.
    > I wouldn't be suprised if someone's code broke from such a
    > change, but then I think "Some One" gets what (s)he deserves  ...

    > But I'm less sure now that I've looked into the issue in more
    > details:
    > If you use

    > (1)   list.files(*, all.files=TRUE)     # sic!  'all.names' does not exist

    > you implicitly say  'recursive=FALSE' , where

    > (2)   list.files(*, recursive=TRUE, ...)

    > implicitly contains  'include.dirs=FALSE'
    > on which the help page says

    > include.dirs: logical.  Should subdirectory names be included in
    > recursive listings?  (There always are in non-recursive ones).

    > {with a typo   s/There/They/  which I've corrected just now}

    > Hence, call  (2)   always excludes  "." and ".."

    > Would you reall see the need for an option to exclude "."
    > and ".." also from the non-recursive calls?

well,... and inspite of the above question,
as I know Bill Dunlap's good judgement and as it appeared to be
nicely implementable, I've still provided such an option now (R-devel only) :

r61184 | maechler | 2012-11-30 12:47:23 +0100 (Fri, 30 Nov 2012) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M doc/NEWS.Rd
   M src/library/base/R/files.R
   M src/library/base/man/list.files.Rd
   M src/main/names.c
   M src/main/platform.c

list.files() gains a new optional argument "no.."

One might discuss if we should change the current
back-compatible default
from  'no.. = FALSE'  to  'no.. = TRUE'

and someone may want to try to do that in R-devel *and* check
all of CRAN (and Bioconductor ?) to see if some package code
breaks because of such a change...