[Rd] Creating functions programmatically

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:26:39 CEST 2012

On 03/10/2012 10:16 AM, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A function has three components: arguments, body and environment. Is
> there no base function that allows us to create a function from those
> three components?

There is:  it is `function`.  The parser converts your function
definitions into a call to it.  (It has 3 arguments: the formals, the
body, and the srcref.  The environment is added when it is evaluated.)

So your make_function below is pretty similar (but because `function` is
primitive, some of the evaluation rules might be different).

Duncan Murdoch