[Rd] Effect of the R framework on ctype.c

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Oct 8 17:17:23 CEST 2012

Sylvain,

I can see two possible reasons for this (both just speculative without an actual example):

a) it could be a conflict in (probably system) headers. isupper is typically a macro so I suspect what happens is that you have two definitions and depending on the sequence of includes and only the first one wins. By including/removing ctype.h you probably just change its sequence. Check the pre-processed .c files containing the isupper() for each of the two cases to see how they differ.

b) locale issues in your system. The implementation of isupper() may respect locales and R will setup the locale according to the environment, so maybe the locale is not defining isupper as you think. Maybe a) is only triggered by b) since the two versions may differ by locale.

There are other reasons one could think of (compiler bug when optimizing the isupper('A') constant) - it's hard to tell without a way to reproduce it.

Cheers,
Simon