[Rd] What's your opinion about the Transparency Layer feature of Oracle R Enterprise?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:37:18 CEST 2012

Xiaobo Gu <guxiaobo1982 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The Transparency Layer feature of Oracle R Enterprise overcomes the
> RAM limitation of R, and can take advantage of multiple core
> processing of the database server by translating R expression into
> SQL, what about building a open source version of the transparency
> layer for relational databases?
>
> Xiaobo Gu

  Sounds great. Let us know how it's going ...

  Without the sarcasm -- R is an open source, publicly developed
project. The R Core team, and most of the non-R-core R developers,
are REALLY busy with their own projects.  If you volunteered to
lead such a project, you might get some volunteers.  But in general,
just saying "I think feature XXX would be great to have in R"
is not likely to get much more than vague agreement (or disagreement).

  There are several existing public domain R-to-SQL-server
interfaces -- see the High Performance Computing Task View (I think).
Does any of them do what you want, or *nearly* do what you want?