[Rd] concurrent requests (Rook, but I think the question is more general)

Richard D. Morey r.d.morey at rug.nl
Thu Oct 25 19:19:17 CEST 2012

On 25/10/12 7:14 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Richard D. Morey <r.d.morey at rug.nl> wrote:
>> On 24/10/12 10:55 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>>
>>> The point is that you need a separate monitoring process or threads. That
>>> process can be R, Rserve or any thing else.
>>>

>> Thanks for the tips. This is what I'm currently contemplating:
>>
>> 1. Main interface starts in user's R session, and opens up the interface
>> (HTML/Javascript using Rook package)
>> 2. When analysis starts, Rserve is started, with its own web server, using
>> Rook, for status updates
>> 3. During analysis, main process calls a callback function which uses
>> RSassign() to send progress updates to the Rserve server
>> 4. HTML/Javascript interface can connect to the webserver on the Rserve
>> server to get status updates
>> 5. When analysis is done, use RSshutdown() and RSclose() to clean up.
>>
>> Does this seem reasonable?
>>
>> One problem I'm having is that when I start Rook on the Rserve server, the
>> webserver does not respond (although it is started). Does Rserve only
>> respond to requests on the port assigned for RSclient commands?
>>
>> Best,
>> Richard
>>
>> Here's an example:
>>
>> #######################
>>
>> library(Rserve)
>>
>> ### This works:
>>
>> stuff = expression({
>>
>>    library(Rook)
>>    s <- Rhttpd$new()
>>    s$add(
>>      app=system.file('exampleApps/helloworld.R',package='Rook'),
>>      name='hello'
>>    )
>>    s$start(quiet=TRUE)
>>    s$browse(1)
>>    print(s$full_url(1))
>> })
>>
>> # This will open the browser to the test app, asking for your name
>> eval(stuff)
>>
>> ### This does not:
>>
>> Rserve(args="--no-save")
>> c <- RSconnect()
>> RSassign(c, stuff)
>>
>> # This opens the browser to the correct URL, but the webserver doesn't
>> respond.
>> RSeval(c, quote(eval(stuff)))
>>

>> #####
>> # cleanup
>> RSshutdown(c)
>> RSclose(c)
>>
> This "works" for me if I omit the quote(). I get an error, but the
> webapp seems to work. Also, I didn't eval(stuff) locally, only on the
> server:
I'll try this in a bit and see what happens.

I forgot my sessionInfo()...

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] tools     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets methods
base

other attached packages:
[1] Rook_1.0-8   brew_1.0-6   Rserve_0.6-8