[Rd] contr.sum() and contrast names

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Tue Oct 30 10:25:56 CET 2012

Le samedi 27 octobre 2012 à 10:44 -0400, John Fox a écrit :
> Hi Milan,
>
> Take a look at the contr.Sum() and contr.Treatment() functions in the
> car package.
Yeah, this is the kind of function I had in mind. Just that I think we
should have an equivalent in the base packages.

> (I recall, BTW, the sometimes acrimonious previous discussion of this
> issue.)
I could not find this discussion, do you have any pointer?

Anyways, going deeper and deeper into the archives, I've found you made
the same proposal almost exactly 10 years ago[1]! Oddly enough, it only
prompted one reply at the time - has the rest of the discussion been
removed from the archives because it was too rude? ;-) Should we reopen
the debate now that some time has been spent without actions being taken
on that front?

Regards

1: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/02b/0878.html