[Rd] Retrieving data from aspx pages

jose ramon mazaira jramaza at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 17:14:54 CET 2012

I'd like to make you note that I've discovered that package RCurl
already provides a utility that allows interaction via POST requests
with servers. In fact, the FAQ for RCurl contains specifically an
example with an aspx page:

x = postForm("http://www.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/psdResult.aspx",
             style = "post",
            .params = list(visited="1",
                          lstGroup = "all",
                          lstCommodity="2631000",
                          lstAttribute="88",
                          lstCountry="**",
                          lstDate="2011",
                          lstColumn="Year",
                          lstOrder="Commodity%2FAttribute%2FCountry"))

Check this link: http://www.omegahat.org/RCurl
However, I think that it would be more useful to automate the
interaction with servers retrieving automatically the name-value pairs
required by the server (parsing the page source code) instead of
examining in each web page the appropiate fields.