[Rd] if(--as-cran)?

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Sep 4 21:44:05 CEST 2012

On 09/04/2012 01:57 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 04/09/2012 2:36 PM, Warnes, Gregory wrote:

>> >We have a mechanism to specify testing level: the --as-cran flag. We
>> >could presumably make it more elaborate by adding other flags, or option
>> >levels, or whatever.
>> >
>> >What I think we shouldn't do is try to create an R-level test that says
>> >
>> > if (testingLevel() > 3) {
>> > doSomething
>> >}
>> >
>> >because tests can be turned on and off, individually. If testingLevel 3
>> >specified tests (A, B, C), then is our testingLevel higher if we are
>> >running tests (A, B, D, E, F, G)? Why not just test for the presence of
>> >whichever test is most relevant to that particular code block, e.g.
>> >
>> > if ("D" %in% tests()) {
>> > doSomething
>> >}
>>

>> I would prefer the testingLevel() approach of the "D" %in% tests()
>> approach, since testingLevel() provides a natural way to add successively
>> greater test details without having to dig into the code to determine the
>> set of tests.
>
> I don't see how you could possibly calculate a single number in a reasonable way. What is
> the number that should be returned for (A, B, D, E, F, G)?
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Duncan is leapfrogging ahead to another level that I hadn't thought of.  An example would
be to divide my survival package as "cox", "parametric", "survfit", "all", some of whaich
overlap. Interesting idea, but beyond what I'd use.  When I'm focused on a detail I run
the test of interest directly, not through CMD check.  For me low, med, high intensity
suffices with as-cran invoking the first level and high including those that take an
exceptionally long time.
  If you went to an A, B, C, ... approach what would be the as-cran default?

Of course there is then the furthest level, which I recently instituted for survival due
to the large number of dependencies: before posting a change download all the other
dependent packages and run their tests too.  It's an overnighter, and in that case I'd
want level=high.  Forewarned is forearmed.

Terry T.