[Rd] Suggest adding a 'pivot' argument to qr.R

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 20:42:31 CEST 2012

On Sep 7, 2012, at 17:16 , Tim Hesterberg wrote:

> I suggest adding a 'pivot' argument to qr.R, to obtain columns in the
> same order as the original x, so that
>  a <- qr(x)
>  qr.Q(a) %*% qr.R(a, pivot=TRUE)
> returns x.

That would come spiraling down in flames the first time someone tried to use backsolve on it, wouldn't it? I mean, a major point of QR is that R is triangular; doesn't make much sense to permute the columns without retaining the pivoting permutation.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com