[Rd] as.data.frame.character lacks nm= argument

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 15:25:12 CEST 2012

On 13/09/2012 21:48, Bert Gunter wrote:
> Bill:
>
> as.data.frame.character() has no nm, argument, so providing one causes
> the error as you can see from the code. Presumably, this is what you
> meant by bug/inconsistency, right?

This is using an undocumented argument, 'nm'.  I don't believe anything
is said about what might happen if you do that except that it will be
passed to methods -- they are not obliged to accept it.

If it were intended for this to be a feature, I think the author might
have chosen a less opaque name than 'nm'.

Where we go from here is under discussion in R-core.