[Rd] [Repost 1/3] The X11 device patch

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Sep 15 20:37:13 CEST 2012

[ Email resend 1 of 3 ]

  From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>
  To: R-core <R-core at r-project.org>
  CC: Philip Johnson <plfjohnson at emory.edu>, edd at debian.org
  Subject: The X11 device patch
  Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:53:13 -0500

  R Core,

  *Great* to see this bubble up in the NEWS aggregation:

    2.15.1 patched NEW FEATURES

    The X11() window gains an icon: the latter may be especially useful on
    Ubuntu's Unity interface.

    The WM_CLASS should be set in circumstances where the Window Manager failed
    to make use of Xt settings.

  As you may know, I also applied these changes by Philip (CC'ed) to the Debian
  package and am enjoying them tremendously. This is useful beyond Unity -- I
  am currently (at work) at a Windows 7 box and even its taskbar now shows an R
  logo when I send an x11() plot device over ssh.

  You may need to also include two more files:  an icon png file, and a
  .desktop file.  I can help off-list, as can Philip who guided me through this
  too.

  Dirk, glad to see the "delta" between the Debian build and R minimized again