[Rd] Risk of readRDS() not detecting race conditions with parallel saveRDS()?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sat Sep 15 23:42:17 CEST 2012

Hi Bill,

yes, emulating atomic writing by writing to a temporary file and then
renaming definitely lowers the risk for corruptions.  I actually take
a similar approach in the Aroma Project (aroma.affymetrix et al.),
R.utils::saveObject(), R.utils::downloadFile() and more, and it
provides a great protection against user-interrupts, power failures
and so on.  I've been considering adding it to R.cache as well.

However, I'm not sure that it is guaranteed to be truly atomic.  I'm
saying this because ~8 years I was running batch jobs on 50 computers
on a shared file system.  Each R process was looking for remaining
"job" directory (=one job) and if found, it renamed/moved it
immediately so no other process would find/grab the same job.
However, it turned out that occasionally two separate R processes (on
different machines) could grab and move that same directory at the
"same" time (holding on to the same file target), proceed with the
analysis and write the results to file (which then would contain
interweaved results from the two parallel runs).  From that I learned
that on certain NFS file systems, it can take up to 30 seconds(!)
before file updates are seen by all computers.  Of course, what you're
proposing is somewhat different - first creating a unique temporary
file for each process which is then renamed to a common file.  The
question is how this is affected by above file system delays etc.

So to summarize my strategy, I'd like to add all possible layers of
protection (that are not too expensive) against race conditions in
order to minimize any risks for errors and if errors still occur I'd
like to be able to detect them, and all this without assuming to much
about the file systems.  It's only as a last resort I want to turn to
coordinated approaches via a main server (mutex handler; TCPIP is
guaranteed to truly atomic everywhere) ...and I don't want to reinvent
cluster OSes.

Thanks for you feedback

/Henrik