[Rd] CRAN test / avoidance

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 17:06:28 CEST 2012

( subject changed from Re: [Rd] R-devel Digest, Vol 115, Issue 18 )

I have the impression from this, and previous discussions on the
subject, that package developers and CRAN maintainers are talking at
cross-purposes. Many package maintainers are thinking that they should
be responsible for choosing which tests are run and which are not run by
CRAN, whereas CRAN maintainers may want to run all possible tests
sometimes, or a trimmed down set when time constraints demand this. With
good reason, CRAN may want to run all possible tests sometimes. There
are too many packages on CRAN that remain there because they don't have
any testing or vignettes, and very few examples. Encouraging more of
that is a bad thing.

If I understand correctly, the --as-cran option was introduced to help
developers specify options that CRAN uses, so they would find problems
that CRAN would notice, and correct before submitting. The Rd
discussions of this have morphed into a discussion of how package
developers can use --as-cran to control which tests are run by CRAN.

I tend to be more sympathetic with what I call the CRAN maintainer view
above, even though I am a package developer. I think packages should
have extensive testing and that all the tests should go in the source
package on CRAN, so the testing is available for CRAN and everyone else.
(Although, it is sometimes not clear if CRAN maintainers like me doing
this, because they are torn between time demands and maintaining quality
- that is part of the confusion.)

The question becomes: how does information get passed along to indicate
things that may take a long time to run. The discussion so far has
focused on developers setting, or using, some flags to indicate tests
and examples that take a long time. Another option would be to have the
check/build process generate a file with information about the time it
took to run tests, vignettes, and examples, probably with some
information about the speed of the machine it was run on. Then CRAN and
anyone else that wants to run tests can take this information into
consideration.

Paul