[Rd] error on uneven recycling?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 25 09:12:11 CEST 2012

On 25/09/2012 03:45, Thomas Lumley wrote:
> Is there some reason why
>
>> (1:2)+(1:3)
> [1] 2 4 4
> Warning message:
> In (1:2) + (1:3) :
>    longer object length is not a multiple of shorter object length
>
> can't be made into an error?  I realise it was there in S-PLUS, but
> since it produces a warning there can't be many examples on CRAN or
> Bioconductor using it, and I can't think of any situation where it
> would be used deliberately.

It produces a warning, not an R CMD check warning.  There are lots of
instances on CRAN, for example when running the examples for

CollocInfer DiceOptim FitAR LaplacesDemon MethComp OUwie ROptEst
RandVar RiDMC SweaveListingUtils TeachingSampling adlift
arulesViz caret cyclones depth disp2D gstat hyperSpec igraph
igraph0 iid influence irtoys isotone ldDesign libamtrack lqmm
mixtools phylobase polynom replicationDemos reporttools robustX
rsem sfsmisc spam spatstat survival tcltk2 tsDyn

let alone tests and vignettes.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk