[Rd] French Toulouse CRAN mirror always down

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Fri Sep 28 15:14:15 CEST 2012

Le vendredi 28 septembre 2012 à 10:14 +0200,
Friedrich.Leisch at R-project.org a écrit :

>   > Hi!
>   > One of the three French CRAN mirrors, cran.cict.fr (Toulouse) seems to
>   > be down most of the time, and at least really not reliable. It has
>   > currently been down for 28 days (!) [1], and I know that over two years
>   > I've rarely been able to use it (no response, slow, hangs...).
>
>   > I'm sure the maintainers of this mirror mean well, but the result is
>   > really negative for French R users. This week I observed one user that
>   > failed to install a package because she selected that mirror and it was
>   > not available. Such a minor detail can give a very poor impression to
>   > beginners.
>
>   > I suggest that either the maintainers of this mirror explain why it does
>   > not work and provide solutions to improve the situation, or it should be
>   > removed from the list until it works reliably. Not as a punishment of
>   > course, but for practical considerations.
>
>   > At the very least this mirror should be moved down the list: at the
>   > moment it's the first of the three French mirrors, while the two others
>   > work very well. If the mirrors were sorted by the alphabetical order of
>   > their full names, it would be the last one, and it would be bite French
>   > users less often, while still acting as a fallback solution.
>
> It has already been removed a couple of days ago, have a look e.g. at
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/mirrors.html
>
> will need some time to propagate to all places.
I had noticed it was not in the list, but I thought that was done
automatically when a mirror was not responding. What a coincidence it
was removed right before I write this message! ;-)

Glad to know this problem will no longer exist in the future.

Regards