[Rd] question re: error message --- package error: "functionName" not resolved from current namespace

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 11 07:29:05 CEST 2013

For what it's worth, the package loads many DLLs in its NAMESPACE via repeated
calls to useDynLib. antsImageRead is not in the first DLL loaded, and from
NEWS.Rd, the problem comes from

     o   A foreign function call (.C() etc) in a package without a PACKAGE
	argument will only look in the first DLL specified in the NAMESPACE
	file of the package rather than searching all loaded DLLs.  A few
	packages needed PACKAGE arguments added.

 From ?.Call, 'PACKAGE' is I believe meant to name the DLL (libRantsImageRead in
this case) rather than the R package.

Some archaeology below.

Martin

On 04/10/2013 02:35 PM, brian avants wrote:
> Thank you for the advice - the function formed like this:
>
> antsImageRead <- function( filename , dimension , pixeltype = "float" )
> {
>       rval <- (.Call("antsImageRead", filename, pixeltype, dimension))
>       return(rval)
> }
>
> worked up to R 2.15.x  but fails in R 3.0.x
>
> if i include the PACKAGE = 'whatever' , in the .Call above, as here:
>
> antsImageRead <- function( filename , dimension , pixeltype = "float" )
> {
>       rval <- (.Call("antsImageRead", filename, pixeltype, dimension,
> PACKAGE="ANTsR"))
>       return(rval)
> }
>
> then it fails in both 2.15.x and 3.0.x ....

When .Call has a PACKAGE argument, or when R tries to guess the DLL from the
fact that .Call is from within a NAMESPACE, only one DLL is found (from
R_FindNativeSymbolFromDLL in main/dotcode.c:1331, which calls getCallingDLLe).
the function "antsImageRead" is not in the DLL returned by getCallingDLLe, so
not found.

 > getNativeSymbolInfo("antsImageRead")$package
DLL name: libRantsImageRead
Filename:

/home/mtmorgan/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/3.0-2.13/ANTsR/libs/libRantsImageRead.so
Dynamic lookup: TRUE

 > getCallingDLLe(getNamespace("ANTsR"))
DLL name: libRantsRegistration
Filename:

/home/mtmorgan/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/3.0-2.13/ANTsR/libs/libRantsRegistration.so
Dynamic lookup: TRUE

> if i source the file
>
> source("ANTsR/R/antsImageRead.R")
>
> after loading the library, then it works fine in 3.0.x without the direct
> call to PACKAGE=ANTsR.

from the command line, we are not in a NAMESPACE so R uses R_FindSymbol at
dotcode.c:259; this performs a more general search and finds the appropriate symbol.

The change was somewhere around

r60607 | ripley | 2012-09-07 10:56:35 -0700 (Fri, 07 Sep 2012) | 1 line
Changed paths:
    M /trunk/doc/NEWS.Rd
    M /trunk/src/main/dotcode.c

confine .C etc in a package to the registered DLL.