[Rd] "Failed to locate the 'texi2pdf' output file"

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:10:30 CEST 2013

On 13-04-12 7:23 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen
> <kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dan,
>>
>> This error looks _very_ similar to what I reported regarding the use of
>> 'foreach' inside a windows vignette, on the bioc-devel email list.  As you
>> say, it looks funny that it lists the tex file, yet fails to find it.
>
> It's not looking for the TeX file, but the PDF file - that is what the
> error message is referring to by "Failed to locate the 'texi2pdf'
> output file".  [ Note that in this error message I use the term
> "vignette" in a conceptual sense, not necessarily the vignette
> *source* file (here *.Rnw) - maybe that is what is confusing. ]
> Immediately after calling tools::texi2pdf("OrganismDbi.tex"), the code
> tries to locate the texi2pdf output file, that is, 'OrganismDbi.pdf',
> which it cannot find.  This indicates that tools::texi2pdf() gave an
> error (an error message which is currently not reported/available),
> which in turn indicates that the 'OrganismDbi.tex' file is
> corrupt/incomplete.
>

>> The issue had to do with closing relevant connections (for foreach, this
>> was a Windows issue because the default foreach backend on Windows uses
>> connections).   For my particular case, solving it was a bit difficult
>> because I could not just close all connections since a vignette is being
>> run inside sink().
>>
>> The package name makes me suspect a database connection. As a starting
>> point I suggest closing all existing connections in the vignette.
>
> I think it's worth looking into what Kasper says - that's hopefully the reason.
>
> /Henrik
>
> PS. I do find it odd that these issues starting to occur now, because
> most of the vignette framework is performing the same steps as in R (<
> 3.0.0).  The main difference is see is that it now validates/asserts
> that the expected output file is there *immediately* after trying to
> generate them (using weave, tangle, and texi2pdf).  If for some reason
> texi2pdf generates the PDF in a background process which is not
> completed in full when returning the control to R, then the PDF is not
> there and you would get this error.  I don't know if this can happen.
> The reason why I came to think of this is because I recall that I've
> seen this behavior when using bitmap() and Ghostscript to create PNGs.
>   Just a shot from the hip, though.

I haven't seen this lately, but some time ago we heard of problems
caused by antivirus scanners.  They put exclusive locks on newly created
executable files during checking and so the file wasn't immediately
available.  I imagine they would scan a .pdf, but I don't know if this
is the issue here.

Duncan Murdoch