[Rd] Rebuild package on R 3.0.0 without source code?

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Thu Apr 18 19:42:52 CEST 2013

Very nice, thank you! The steps did work. Documentation, demos, examples, functions, external data all load perfectly. For the archive, the step "make ... the correct DESCRIPTION file" only involved copying the binary's DESCRIPTION file and removing the last line ("Built: R 2.14.1...").

To answer Marc's question, the package is not in cran as it's a closed-source R interface package to a proprietary optimization software written in Java (Axioma). I wanted the flexibility to upgrade R even if the vendor decides not to release a new binary package anytime soon. To Duncan's point, agreed! Personally, I generally prefer the open-source optimizers as you can throw tons of CPUs at the problem without running out of software licenses. However, this particular proprietary optimizer is very good at solving quadratically constrained quadratic programs (QCQP), and I haven't yet seen a free R package that can solve this kind of problem (e.g. max q'x - x'Qx subject to x'Qx <= B and Ax=c).

Thanks again!
Robert