[Rd] Linux distribution with gcc 4.8 and AddressSanitizer ?

Thomas Petzoldt Thomas.Petzoldt at tu-dresden.de
Fri Apr 19 19:22:48 CEST 2013

On 18.04.2013 18:05, José Matos wrote:
> On Thursday 18 April 2013 17:38:06 Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
>> Dear R developers,
>>
>> I've got an information from Prof. Ripley regarding a bug found
>> with AdressSanitizer in one of our packages. It is now fixed, thank
>> you for this information.
>>
>> Now, I would like to run AddressSanitizer myself before submitting
>> the patched package to CRAN.
>>
>> Is there a recommendation of a suitable Linux distribution with gcc
>> 4.8, ideally an ISO image or (even better) a virtual appliance for
>> VMware or VirtalBox? My Debian Wheezy machines have only 4.7.2.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Thomas Petzoldt
>
> I am not sure about all the requisites above (regarding the virtual
> appliances although I know that they are available) but Fedora 19
> (Alpha) that will be released today has gcc 4.8.
>
> Even although it has the Alpha moniker, and the corresponding stage,
> it is relatively stable and thus suitable for your requirements.
>
> Regards,

Thank you for the hint to use Fedora 19 Alpha. I have it now running,
together with R 3.0.0. and gcc 4.8.0 20120412 (Red Hat 4.8.0-2).

Compilation and installation of packages (without ASAN) workes out of
the box.

Then I've set:

export PKG_CFLAGS="-fsanitize=address -fno-omit-frame-pointer"

... and compilation runs and I see that gcc uses the flags, but package
installation still fails:

** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared object
'/home/user/packages/deSolve.Rcheck/deSolve/libs/deSolve.so':
   /home/user/packages/deSolve.Rcheck/deSolve/libs/deSolve.so: undefined
symbol: __asan_report_load8
Error: loading failed
Execution halted
ERROR: loading failed

I see that the address sanitizer cannot work yet (__asan_report_load8)
and that I missed something important, but what?

Thomas Petzoldt

--
Thomas Petzoldt
Technische Universitaet Dresden