[Rd] how to control the environment of a formula

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Fri Apr 19 19:27:12 CEST 2013

Duncan,
 I stand by all my comments.  Well behaved function -- those that look
only at their input arguments -- do just fine with a simple env.
 Now as to formulas --- the part of R that has most aggressively messed
with normal evaluation rules.  It is quite possible that there is/was no
other way to implement their functionality set, so I'm not throwing rocks
at that.  However, as soon as they enter the scene the consequences
multiply like rabbits and I feel like I've fallen into a hall of mirrors.
Nothing else has caused me as much ongoing confusion and wonderment in the
survival package.
  As soon as you introduced them all my arguments are irrelevant.

Terry T