[Rd] R 3.0, Rtools3.0,l Windows7 64-bit, and permission agony

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 02:47:55 CEST 2013

On 13-04-19 5:37 PM, Kevin Coombes wrote:
> Having finally found some free time, I was going to use it to update a
> bunch of R packages from 2.15 to 3.0.
>
> I am running Windows 7, 64-bit professional.  This is on a brand-new
> laptop using vanilla settings when installing the operating system.
>
> Problem 1: I installed R3.0 to the default location (C:\Program
> FIles\R\R-3.0.0).  The first thing I tried to do was install
> BioConductor.  This failed (permission denied). Thinking that this might
> be a BioConductor problem, I then tried to install a (semirandom)
> package from CRAN.  This also failed.
>
> In both cases, when using the GUI, the error message is almost
> incomprehensible.  You get a pop-up window that *only* says "Do you want
> to use a private library instead?"  Since this wasn't what I wanted to
> do I said "no".  Only after the pop-up closes does the command window
> print the error message telling me that permission was denied for R to
> write to its own library location.

This is a standard Windows problem, to stop viruses from modifying
installed programs.  The standard Windows solution to it is to run the
installer as an administrator, taking personal responsibility for
installing the package/virus.

Since this is a laptop, you could probably do this, but it's possible
that you are not the administrator on your system.  If that's the case,
you should ask your administrator to do the install.

> Dumb Fix to Problem 1: So, I uninstalled R and then reinstalled to a
> nonstandard location (C:\R\R-3.0.0).  Now I can successfully install
> packages from CRAN and BioConductor (hooray!). But I run directly into:

That's another solution, and a third solution is to accept the offer R
made, to install your packages somewhere where you as a user have write
permission.

> Problem 2: Emacs Speaks Statistics (ESS) can no longer find the R
> binary. When R was installed in the default location, ESS worked. When R
> 2.15 (or earlier) was installed in the same nonstandard location, I
> could get ESS to find the R binaries by including (setq
> ess-directory-containing-r "C:") in my .emacs file, but that no longer
> works.
>
> Dumb Fix to Problem 2:  Hack into ess-site.el and put the complete,
> explicit path to the correct binary into
> (setq-default inferior-R-program-name 'FULLPATHHERE")
> which will break as soon as I upgrade R (assuming I am foolish enough to
> ever do that again).

I can't help you with ESS.

> Now I am ready to rebuild my R packages.  I have this nice perl script
> that goes through the following procedure:
>
> 1. Set the path to include the correct Rtools directory.  (For reasons
> that Gabor Grothendieck has pointed out previously, this is not a
> permanent part of the path since doing so would override some built-in
> Windows commands.)

Just curious:  how often do you use the Windows find command?  We have
put instructions in place for people to run the install process with a
renamed Rtools find command (which I think is the only conflict). The
issue is that more users who want to use the command line commands are
familiar with the Unix variant (which came first, by the way) than the
Windows one, so renaming the Rtools one would cause trouble for more people.

> 2. Build a source tarball via
>       R CMD build $package
> 3. Build a Windows binary version (as a zip file) via
>       R CMD INSTALL --build $tarball
> 4. Check the package via
>       R CMD check --as-cran $tarball
> 5. Install the package via
>       R CMD INSTALL $tarball
>
> Problem 3: Step 3 fails, withe the error message "Running 'zip' failed".
>
> Dumb Fix to Problem 3: Install the GnbuWin32 version of zip, and make
> sure that its location is earlier in ter path than the version that
> comes with Rtools.

I have no idea about this one.

> Problem 4: Step 4 fails when running the test scripts that accompany the
> package.  The error message is the semicryptic
>       "cannot open file 'c:\Users\krc\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp....'
> Permission denied"

That's Windows permissions biting you again.  Run as administrator.

Duncan Murdoch