[Rd] R 3.0, Rtools3.0,l Windows7 64-bit, and permission agony

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 17:09:03 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Just curious:  how often do you use the Windows find command?  We have put
>>> instructions in place for people to run the install process with a renamed
>>> Rtools find command (which I think is the only conflict). The issue is that
>>> more users who want to use the command line commands are familiar with the
>>> Unix variant (which came first, by the way) than the Windows one, so
>>> renaming the Rtools one would cause trouble for more people.
>>
>> Its not just find - its also sort. And really R has no business
>> clobbering built in Windows commands. This is just wrong and really
>> causes anyone who does any significant amount of Windows batch
>> programming (or uses batch programs of any complexity) endless
>> problems.
>
> Which is presumably why Rtools doesn't modify the path by default.
>
> Better solutions (e.g. Rstudio and devtools) temporarily set the path
> on when you're calling R CMD *.

I am well aware of the various kludges to address this including my
own batchfiles ( http://batchfiles.googlecode.com ) which handles this
by temporarily changing the path as well; however, the real problem is
that Rtools does not play nice with Windows and that needs to be
addressed directly.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.