[Rd] R 3.0, Rtools3.0,l Windows7 64-bit, and permission agony

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 20:39:28 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13-04-20 2:02 PM, Kevin Coombes wrote:

>>> It's not a change to Rtools, it's a change is to the build system in
>>> R:  it allows you to rename sort or find in your own copy of Rtools,
>>> and R will use whatever you specify.  You were informed of this when I
>>> did it in 2007, and I've mentioned it when the topic comes up here,
>>> most recently in the message quoted above.  That's a long time ago, so
>>> I don't remember if you tried it then, but I've never heard a
>>> complaint from anyone else that it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch

>> How do you do that?  (More explicitly, what steps would I have to take
>> to redefine things like find.exe and sort.exe in Rtools so that R would
>> know how to find them and use them? I can't figure that out from the
>> earlier parts of these messages.)
>>

> Rename them to whatever you want in the Rtools install, then edit the
> definitions.  I think currently they are in src/gnuwin32/Makefile and
> src/gnuwin32/MkRules (one in each), but I'd suggest you just search files
> named M* for the strings "sort" and "find", in case I've got it wrong, or it
> has changed since the last time I looked.
>
> If you try to build R itself rather than just packages, you may need to do
> more edits, because some of the makefiles for things like the jpeg libraries
> weren't written by us, and may have these commands hard-coded.

Are you suggesting that R itself be rebuild?  Rtools be rebuilt?  Some
clarity on this and the process to do it would be helpful.  I was
really looking for a way to do this with an out of the box R
installation since from a practical viewpoint few are going to want to
build their own software.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.