[Rd] R 3.0, Rtools3.0,l Windows7 64-bit, and permission agony

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 03:13:39 CEST 2013

> As far as I can tell, the steps you are recommending take place in an
> earlier build step.  This would require the user who wants to do this to
> rebuild Rtools in its entirety, which is more trouble than it is likely to
> be worth. Especially when you can avoid the problem by using your own batch
> script or perl script to reset the path on those relatively rare occasions
> when you need to use Rtools.  Since buiilding Rtools for a Windows machine
> is something than CRAN does on a regular basis, why can't they just change
> the names there (and not bother the UNIX users, and probably not even bother
> the UNIX users who find themselves banished to the Windows wilderness).
> Just call them "unixfind" and "unixsort" and everyone will be able to figure
> it out....

Because the point of Rtools is to make windows more like linux, rather
than less?

I really don't understand the complaints in this thread - I have
regularly had classes of 10-20 windows users build a package with no
prior experience, and simply downloading and installing Rtools.  In my
opinion Rtools uses the right defaults, and with a bit of extra
scripting work (painful at first, but only needs to be done once, e.g.
https://github.com/hadley/devtools/blob/master/R/rtools.r) it's
painless to use from R.

Hadley

--