[Rd] R 3.0, Rtools3.0,l Windows7 64-bit, and permission agony

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 20:01:30 CEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Prof J C Nash (U30A) <nashjc at uottawa.ca> wrote:

> While as a Linux user who has not so far been banished to Winland I have not
> experienced this problem, it seems to be the type of issue where a "how to",
> for example, on the R Wiki, would be helpful. Moreover, surely this is a
> name conflict on different platforms, so possibly a list of these in a
> related location would also be useful. I have been struggling unsuccessfully
> to remember one that bit me recently when I did have to help a Windows user.
> It was not a major disaster, but more of a large sucking sound of time being
> wasted figuring out something that was just a shade more than trivial.
>
> If there are folk who can get this started, do include me in an off-list
> copy and I'll be willing to test/edit wiki material.

The bottom line is that the conflicting executables are find and sort.
 Its best to not put Rtools on your path and its probably simplest
just to use R.bat or Rpathset.bat from my batchfiles
(http://batchfiles.googlecode.com) if you are doing it from the cmd
line or Hadley's devtools (install.packages("devtools")) if you are
working from within R.  Also Rcpp has a workaround built into it as
well which would be applicable when using C++ in conjunction with that
package.

Although this is annoying and can lead to extremely hard to detect
errors if you don't know about it the R Windows environment is
actually quite nice. otherwise  You get a GUI and most of the packages
come as binaries so you don't have to build anything to use packages
off CRAN in almost all cases.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.