[Rd] R 3.0, Rtools3.0,l Windows7 64-bit, and permission agony

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 13:23:52 CEST 2013

On 13-04-21 9:22 PM, steven mosher wrote:
> Well, color me confused as heck. I've upgraded to R 3.0 so that I can bring
> my packages up to date, but the instructions surrounding Rtools30 are not a
> model of clarity.

First thing is, you should not pay attention to Gabor's complaints.
They are valid, but they only matter to a tiny minority of R users,
those who use software that requires the ancient "sort" and "find"
utilities from MSDOS.  Rtools installs a minimal Unix emulator, and
"sort" and "find" act differently there.

You should also ignore many of the instructions that you find on the
web, because people write them then don't update them when things
change.  Pay attention to the R Installation and Administration manual
(which is kept up to date), and the instructions that are installed
along with the tools (and readable on the web site).

If you can't follow those instructions, point out which ones you don't
understand.  If you can follow them but things don't work, then describe
what problems you are having.

Duncan Murdoch