[Rd] Verbose output from R CMD check

dpleydell David.Pleydell at antilles.inra.fr
Tue Apr 23 16:51:42 CEST 2013

I've been developing a package called foobar for a couple of years now.
It has evolved through various versions, but has always contained
compiled C code. Recently, R CMD check has started generating the
following message

[START QUOTE]

R CMD check foobar_1.7.5.tar.gz
* using log directory ‘/home/david/foobar/package/foobar.Rcheck’
* using R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26)
* using platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
* using session charset: UTF-8
* checking for file ‘foobar/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
[LOTS OF '...OK' CHECK REPORTS REMOVED FOR BREVITY]
* checking compiled code ... NOTE
File ‘/home/david/foobar/package/foobar.Rcheck/foobar/libs/foobar.so’:
   Found ‘putchar’, possibly from ‘putchar’ (C)
     Object: ‘foobar.o’
   Found ‘puts’, possibly from ‘printf’ (C), ‘puts’ (C)
     Object: ‘foobar.o’

Compiled code should not call functions which might terminate R nor
write to stdout/stderr instead of to the console.

See ‘Writing portable packages’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’ manual.
* checking examples ... OK
* checking PDF version of manual ... OK

NOTE: There was 1 note.
See ‘/home/david/foobar/package/foobar.Rcheck/00check.log’ for details.

[END QUOTE]

This message is recent, but appears even when I re-compile and check old
versions of the package which previously passed the check without any
such warning messages.

My understanding is that since R 2.15.0 R CMD check has undergone
numerous modifications, and as a result it is now identifying a
"problem" that wasn't being identified previously. I'm currently running
R 2.15.2.

Identifying the source of the message is a non-trivial problem because
there are a large number of calls to printf and fprintf etc in several
thousands of lines of code spread over many different *.c files.

So my question... is there a way to obtain a more verbose output that
could point me to the lines of code that generate the message? Without
this information debugging is rendered unnecessarily hard, time
consuming and frustrating.

many thanks
David

--