[Rd] Speeding up build-from-source

Adam Seering adam at seering.org
Fri Apr 26 16:50:21 CEST 2013

Hi,
	I've been playing around with the R source code a little; mostly just
trying to familiarize myself.  I have access to some computers on a
reservation system; so I've been reserving a computer, downloading and
compiling R, and going from there.

	I'm finding that R takes a long time to build, though.  (Well, ok,
maybe 5 minutes -- I'm impatient :-) )  Most of that time, it's sitting
there byte-compiling some internal package or another, which uses just
one CPU core so leaves the system mostly idle.

	I'm just curious if anyone has thought about parallelizing that process?

Thanks,
Adam