[Rd] [R] Internalization of help pages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 3 19:06:08 CEST 2013

This was an R-devel topic, and I have moved it where it belongs.  See
the posting guide.

On 03/08/2013 08:34, Tomáš Greif wrote:
> Bert,
>
> thank you for your response.
>
> I understand this would be huge task. My idea is:
>
> 1. Translation of help files is optional, driven by demand. This way (as I
> believe) core packages will get translated first, followed by some other
> CRAN packages. I don't expect that every page is translated.

It is not just a question of translating, but keeping translations up to
date.  Even for messages, the latter is an issue.

> 2. Use collaborative open-source tools for translation. For example crowdin
> is online translation tool free for open-source projects. Alternatively,
> wiki can be used for translation (it would be however necessary to program
> link to upload original translation and download translations back)
>
> 3. When browsing help, file based on user's locale will be displayed (if
> exists) with failover to default (English).

You had better check the version that was translated, and that is not
currently recorded in the file.

> I agree with you that translation has to be exact. However, I believe that
> users can benefit more from slightly inexact documentation written in their
> first language than from exact documentation in language they do not
> understand well.

That is a matter of opinion: many people have the opposite opinion.

> Any idea how to create proof of concept for this? I guess this would
> require attention from someone from r-core team.

Not so.  R is Open Source: just go ahead and do it.  You can contribute
patches via bugs.r-project.org.   But note that this would not get
released under R 3.1.0 ca Mar 2014, so there is plenty of time to iron
this out and submit a fully working solution.

Another small issue is size.  For R itself the 'English' (mostly
American) help pages are about 10MB installed.  Adding help pages for,
say, the 15 languages for which we have translated messages would
increase the size of R about 2.5x.