[Rd] as.Date.character speed improvement suggestion

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Aug 16 22:02:37 CEST 2013

On Aug 16, 2013, at 1:54 PM, McGehee, Robert wrote:

> R-Devel,
> I store and retrieve a large amount of financial data (millions of rows) in a PostgreSQL database keyed by date (and represented in R by class Date). Unfortunately, I frequently find that a great deal of processing time is spent converting dates from character representations to Date class representations in R, presumably because strptime is not fast for large vectors (>10,000 elements). I'd like to suggest a patch that speeds up the date conversion considerably for most every large date vectors (up to 400x in some real life cases).

This is more of a comment: if you want speed and have a standard date format, you can use fastPOSIXct from fasttime. The real bottleneck are system calls that do the conversion and fasttime is avoiding them by doing fast string parsing instead:

> system.time(dt1 <- as.Date.character(dtch))
   user  system elapsed
 31.513   0.046  31.559
> system.time(dt1 <- as.Date(fasttime::fastPOSIXct(dtch)))
   user  system elapsed
  0.055   0.018   0.074

Cutting back to unique dates may works for some applications (not for any of ours because we are always dealing with timestamps - but that's why we use POSIXct and not Date), but I'd argue that you may as well do it right away in your specialized application instead.

Cheers,
Simon