[Rd] legitimate use of :::

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Fri Aug 23 05:54:47 CEST 2013

Maybe it is not a good idea for R CMD check to check ::: at all, and a
warning in R-exts and ?':::' may well be enough. On the other hand, it
is just so easy to get around :::, because everybody can see its
source code:

> `:::`
function (pkg, name)
{
    pkg <- as.character(substitute(pkg))
    name <- as.character(substitute(name))
    get(name, envir = asNamespace(pkg), inherits = FALSE)
}

Then the package authors who really want to take the risk may start
another "hide and seek" game, e.g.

`%:::%` = function(pkg, fun) get(fun, envir = asNamespace(pkg),
inherits = FALSE)
'stats' %:::% 'Pillai'

Non-exported functions do not necessarily imply instability. Maybe it
is just because the author is too lazy to document them, or he/she did
not realize these functions happen to be useful for another author.

Although R-devel does not warn against ::: on the packages of the same
maintainer now, these maintainers may change in the future, or one
maintainer can be an author but not maintainer of another package,
from which he/she imports an unexported function, or package authors
have coordinated well with each other about the unexported functions.
I believe there are other legitimate reasons for :::, which might make
it difficult for R to cover all these cases, and also bring additional
communications between package authors and CRAN.

In conclusion, R CMD check cannot really stop :::, and ::: can be
there for good reasons, so how about just let it go?

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>