[Rd] legitimate use of :::

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Mon Aug 26 04:53:53 CEST 2013

I know it is really bad, but the so-called good approach can be more
expensive than that, primarily because a package with a NOTE in R CMD
check is likely to be rejected by CRAN, or authors have to justify the
NOTE in the email.

For this particular case, I can imagine at least one case which can be
endless trouble to CRAN: if the package author A has talked to B to
use a hidden function in B's package, and B thinks that function is
relatively stable but does not want to export it; A may go ahead and
use it via :::. Both A and B understand that unexported function well,
then what should A do when submitting the package to CRAN? Should CRAN
continue adding rules for such exceptions?

In other words, "bad" practices almost always have exceptions and edge
cases. Of course, the decision is always in CRAN's hands, and I will
try to respect and follow it as a package author.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>