[Rd] Minimum requirements for package submission

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 15:37:32 CEST 2013

> 1. My functions are very basic. For example, getRoot gets the root of the
> current tree (APE phylo object) and getAncestor gets the ancestor to the
> current node:
>
> getRoot <- function(cur_Tree){
>     return(length(cur_Tree$tip.label)+1)
> }
>
> getAncestor <- function(cur_Node, cur_Tree){
> return(ancestor)
> }
>
> Is this okay or do I have to do anything else to submit the package? Later
> on (within the next few months) I would have time to convert these
> functions to S3/4 but at the moment the most important thing it to get it
> out there on CRAN.

As long as your package passes R CMD check --as-cran on the
development version of R, CRAN will be happy.  They do not generally
read your source code, and CRAN does not certify that your package is
useful or even correct - so you don't need to worry about what your
package does.

> 2. Does the vignette need to be written in latex or can I get away with
> writing all of the requirements in word? (I believe I've seen a vignette
> written in word -> pdf)

I don't think you can use word, but you can use Rmarkdown, which is
much simpler than latex.

> 3. Any other suggestions/links?

Make sure you read http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html

Good luck!