[Rd] Rename the package published on CRAN

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Aug 28 17:07:37 CEST 2013

On 27.08.2013 18:38, comaths wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I have an R package published on CRAN and I want to rename it for the next
> version, something like from "rName" to "rNAME". I have read the CRAN
> policy, but did not find any topic regarding to this.  So does anybody know
> whether there is any CRAN policy for this? Thanks!

Actually you cannot: CRAN had to archive rName at first, but then no
other package with the name but different capitalization can be added to
CRAN, since that name is taken and packages work on file level where
some operating systems cannot distinguish capitalization appropriately
enough, hence the name rNAME is not available after archival of rName
... The is a simple technical restriction.

Even with a really different name, renaming packages should be reduced
to an absolute minimum and would probably only accepted for legal
concerns related to inappropriate package names.

Best,
Uwe Ligges