[Rd] Type annotations for R function parameters.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 14:08:11 CEST 2013

On 13-08-30 7:22 AM, Оботуров Артем wrote:
> This essentially locks up the version of each package at the time of
> writing an adapter. This makes you to make review of changes before
> introducing an updated version of those packages into the system.

Yes, that's why I said this is hard.

> Also there could a register of converters written by package developers
> to cope with diversity of types.

Converters aren't sufficient.  For example, many functions that take
input from files accept a filename as a character string or a connection
object for the input parameter.  The character string is converted to a
connection using file() (sometimes "" is converted to stdin() or
stdout()), but often other things are done as well, e.g. code to close
the connection at the end of the function call.

For example, here is the code that examines the "con" argument to the
readLines() function:

     if (is.character(con)) {
         con <- file(con, "r")
         on.exit(close(con))
     }

The cat() function is a little more complicated, and the parse()
function has much more extensive calculations involving its "file"
argument, because it needs to set debugging information and produce
diagnostic messages.

Duncan Murdoch