[Rd] Depending/Importing data only packages

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 23:21:47 CET 2013

> The Writing R Extensions manual says that Suggests is for packages which
> are required only for examples, which I believe matches Hadley's original
> question.

Yes, but without this package they won't be able to run the majority
of examples, which I think delivers a poor experience to the user. It
also means I have to litter my examples with if(require("x")),
decreasing the signal to noise ratio in the examples.

But we're getting a bit far from my original question about the NOTE:

  Package in Depends field not imported from: 'hflights'
  These packages needs to imported from for the case when
  this namespace is loaded but not attached.

Depending on (or linking to) a package is not just about making the
functions in the package available.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/