[Rd] Strategies for keeping autogenerated .Rd files out of a Git tree

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 02:21:18 CET 2013

Hi,

this is maybe mostly a personal preference, but I prefer not to put
generated files in the vc repository. Changes in the generated files,
especially if there is many of them, pollute the diffs and make them
less useful.

If you really want to be able to install the package directly from
github, one solution is to
1. create another repository, that contains the complete generated
package, so that install_github() can install it.
2. set up a CI service, that can download the package from github,
build the package or the generated files (check the package, while it
is at it), and then push the build stuff back to github.
3. set up a hook on github, that invokes the CI after each commit.

I have used this setup in various projects with jenkins-ci and it
works well. Diffs are clean, the package is checked and built
frequently, and people can download it without having to install the
tools that generate the generated files.

The only downside is that you need to install a CI, so you need a
"server" for that. Maybe you can do this with travis-ci, maybe not, I
am not familiar with it that much.

Best,
Gabor