[Rd] stopping finalizers

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 14 12:53:10 CET 2013

It might help if you could be more specific about what the issue is --
if they are out of scope why does it matter whether the finalizers
run?

Generically two approaches I can think of:

     you keep track of whenit is safe to fully run your finalizers and have
     your finalizers put the objects on a linked list if it isn't safe to
     run the finalizer now and clear the list each time you make a new one

     keep track of your objects with a weak list andturn them into strong
     references before your calls, then drop the list after.

I'm pretty sure we don't have a mechanism for temporarily suspending
running the finalizers but it is probably fairly easy to add if that
is the only option.

I might be able to think of other options with more details on the
issue.

Best,

luke

--