[Rd] Using SQLBulkOperations in RODBC

Alireza Mahani alireza.s.mahani at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:39:36 CET 2013

I have a question for the R core development team:

Are there any near-term plans to incorporate the ODBC API function
SQLBulkOperations into the RODBC package? As you are probably well aware,
the sqlSave() function uses a row-by-row insert (even in the 'fast' version)
that imposes heavy DB transaction overheads as well as unnecessary network
transmission overheads. Replacing the current version of the code with a
call to SQLBulkOperations could speed up sqlSave function for moderate to
large data sets up to 10x.

I am asking so I can decide whether it is worthwhile for me to implement a
home-grown version of the code or I can look forward to a new release of
RODBC within the next couple of weeks or months.

Thank you,
Ali