[Rd] Recommended way to call/import functions from a Suggested package

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 26 23:47:51 CET 2013

Hi,

So MASS::huber(1:10) seems to do the job i.e. (1) loads the MASS
package (if it's installed), (2) does not pollute the search path,
(3) no 'R CMD check' warning if MASS is listed in Suggests,
and (4) descent error message if MASS is not installed:

   > MASS::huber(1:10)
   Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called ‘MASS’

So is this recommendable or are there good reasons for stating in
the manual that "this approach is usually not recommended"? (In which
case it would be good to know what the recommended way is.)

Thanks,
H.

--
Hervé Pagès