[Rd] Running R scripts with interactive-style evaluation

Marc Aurel Kiefer marcaurelkiefer at gmx.de
Tue Feb 26 14:28:57 CET 2013

Thanks for your insights.

What I'm actually doing is the following:

I modified R in a way that the REPL loop always parses the input into an SEXPR, but depending on if "magic is enabled" or not, let R compute it or compute it via my own "backend".
As I wanted to keep the changes to R itself as minimally invasive as possible, there is a simple if-statement at the beginning of the REPL iteration which decides how to compute the expression.
using the R commands "enable/disable_magic()" one can change the behavior as required. This works fine when typing R code interactively, but not with a script, since it is only a single REPL iteration.
So I was looking for a way to get "interactive behavior" with scripts, without requiring too many changes to R itself.

Regards,

Marc