[Rd] weird bug with parallel, RSQlite and tcltk

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:14:28 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Karl Forner <karl.forner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The point is that I do not use tcltk, it gets loaded probably as a
> dependency of a dependency of a package.
> When I unload it all work perfectly fine. I just found it because one
> of my computer did not have tk8.5 installed, and did not exhibit the
> mentioned bug. So I really think something should be done about this.
> Maybe the "gui loop" should not be run a the the loading of the tcltk
> package, but
> at the first function ran, or something like this.
>
> As you can see in my example code, the in-memory database is opened in
> the parallel code...
>
> Best,
> Karl

If the package you are referring to is gsubfn or a package dependent
on it such as sqldf then you can ask it to use the R engine rather
than the tcltk engine by using this option:

options(gsubfn.engine = "R")

There is more in the FAQs on the gsubfn home page: http://gsubfn.googlecode.com

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Simon Urbanek
> <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 31, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Karl Forner wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I spent a lot of a time on a weird bug, and I just managed to narrow it down.
>>>

>> First, tcltk and multicore don't mix well, see the warning in the documentation (it mentions GUIs and AFAIR tcltk fires up a GUI event loop even if you don't actually create GUI elements). Second, using any kind of descriptors in parallel code is asking for trouble since those will be owned by multiple processes. If you use databases files, etc. they must be opened in the parallel code, they cannot be shared by multiple workers. The latter is ok in your code so you're probably bitten by the former.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>>> In parallel code (here with parallel::mclappy, but I got it
>>> doMC/multicore too), if the library(tcltk) is loaded, R hangs when
>>> trying to open a DB connection.
>>> I got the same behaviour on two different computers, one dual-core,
>>> and one 2 xeon quad-core.
>>>
>>> Here's the code:
>>>
>>> library(parallel)
>>> library(RSQLite)