[Rd] .print.via.format not found when building r61617?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 18:59:11 CET 2013

  I wouldn't be at all surprised if I turned out to be doing something
boneheaded, but I've *tried* to follow all the relevant rules ...
Based on a clean SVN checkout of R-devel r61617, building in a
separate directory, I end up with

Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object '.print.via.format' not found

  Has anyone encountered this or does anyone have any further
clues/diagnostic hints?  I found .print.via.format defined in the
middle of src/library/tools/all.R , and in the source in
src/library/tools/R/QC.R, and I see that it was added in r61322
(2012-12-14); is there anything else I can try?

  Ben Bolker

> cd r-devel svn update
   At revision 61617.
> cd ../r-devel-build ../r-devel/configure --enable-R-shlib

R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu

  Source directory:          ../r-devel
  Installation directory:    /usr/local

  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
  Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O2

  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O2
  Obj-C compiler:

  Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
  External libraries:        readline
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, NLS, cairo
  Options enabled:           shared R library, shared BLAS, R
profiling, Java

  Recommended packages:      yes

> make

make[4]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/hgfs/bolker/Documents/R/r-devel-build/src/library/tools'
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object '.print.via.format' not found
Error: unable to load R code in package ‘tools’
Execution halted