[Rd] Who does develop the R core and libs, and how / where is it hosted?

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 15 19:46:07 CET 2013

Hi,

On 01/14/2013 05:04 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
[...]
> Maybe it's a sign of a relative maturity of R that we don't have a particular "milestone"-like agenda.

There are many ways one can interpret the lack of an official roadmap
for a software project. However "maturity" is certainly not one I would
have thought of. But maybe I'm biased by having followed to many other
Open Source projects that do have a roadmap, regardless of whether they
consider themselves mature or not.

> Typically, most things can be supplied as packages - the only reason to touch the core of R itself is if it is something that cannot be done as a package,

Or because it could be (and actually was) done as a package but for
some reasons it feels like it belongs to the core? Examples:
parallel, bitops, getParseData, etc...

> and given R's modularity that is fortunately not very often the case.

Modularity would be even better if more things *in core* were made
generics. For example why the stuff in parallel was not made generic?
(at least S3 generic)

Thanks,
H.

> Cheers,