[Rd] Who does develop the R core and libs, and how / where is it hosted?

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Jan 16 07:12:01 CET 2013

On 01/15/2013 03:25 PM, elijah wright wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org
> <mailto:hpages at fhcrc.org>> wrote:
>
>         and given R's modularity that is fortunately not very often the
>         case.
>

>     Modularity would be even better if more things *in core* were made
>     generics. For example why the stuff in parallel was not made generic?
>     (at least S3 generic)
>

> The better to give interesting people GSoC projects with, of course!  ;-)
>
> ... nearly everyone appreciates patches that improve their projects to
> noticeable benefit.  If you like parallel better a different way...
> collude and make it rock.

Sure. And in that particular case the patch wouldn't be hard to produce.

My comment was more in the context of the roadmap discussion. So to
make my point clear I believe that having an official public roadmap
can't hurt, even for a project that has reached some level of maturity.
One obvious benefit is that it provides more opportunity for
discussion/suggestions/input between the community and R core
*before* things happen.
In the case of the parallel package, maybe there are good reasons
for not making the stuff in parallel generic, I don't know. I could
go ahead and start working on a patch now, living in my own world,
following my own dream, but I'd rather try to discuss this a little
bit before. Don't you think?

To make my point even clearer, I think having a public roadmap is by
itself a sign of maturity. Rather than not having one.

Cheers,
H.

--
Hervé Pagès