[Rd] R-forge, package dependencies

Peter Ruckdeschel peter.ruckdeschel at web.de
Mon Jan 28 23:13:35 CET 2013

Am 15.01.2013 21:37, schrieb Paul Gilbert:
> I'm surprised this works on Windows and Mac, since RMonetDB does not
> seem to be on CRAN. I thought it was still a requirement that
> dependencies need to be on CRAN (which makes development difficult for
> related packages like this).

Sorry for my somewhat belated addition:

AFAICS, the mentioned issue does also bite Windows builds, at least
this holds in case of our distr family of packages, see e.g.

https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=89&log=build_win64&pkg=SweaveListingUtils&flavor=patched

but, e.g., also for Thierry Onkelinx's pkg "AFLP"

https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=1027&log=build_win64&pkg=AFLP&flavor=patched

> A related long standing request is that R-forge checking look for
> required newer versions on R-forge rather than just on CRAN. Does anyone
> know if that works on Windows and/or Mac?

I cannot answer this, but also considering R-forge hosted versions would
not necessarily fix the present problem: at least for pkg
"SweaveListingUtils", the dependencies listed in its DESCRIPTION file
would be happy with the version of pkg "startupmsg" available on CRAN
(and as well with the one already available currently for download on
R-forge); still, R-forge complains about not finding pkg "startupmsg".

In this case this seems to be unrelated to the checking environment
not finding external libraries because the path is mentioned in some
non-found environment variable (as in Martin's case mentioned in this
thread); I still can use R CMD check --as-cran on all my pkgs on
my machine (R-3.0.0-devel 61755 and R-2.15.2-patched r61745) without
problems, on Linux as well as on Windows; rather, it seems that
R-forge's check process does not search the library of pkgs to which
pkgs already built on R-forge have been installed to (on R-forge).

And therefore I exceptionally x-post this back to
site-bugs at r-forge.r-project.org ...

At any rate, good look to the problem hunters at R-forge, I hope their
great service will be available again soon.

Best regards, Peter