[Rd] should the text for RIGHT_ASSIGN be -> in getParseData()?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Jul 5 18:59:10 CEST 2013

>  Is there any reason right-assign with "->" still exists? How much
> code on CRAN uses it, and how trivially could it be excised?

I use '->' a lot when doing interactive work.  I often first run a command
to see its printed output then decide that I had better save its value.
The up-arrow key gives me the previous command line with the cursor placed at the
end of the line so adding '-> z' at the end of the line is convenient.
(Not using the up-arrow key and doing 'z <- .Last.value' also works, but
I don't like its context sensitivity.)

I never use '->' when writing code in a file, so you would have to search
my .Rhistory files, not my *.R files, for evidence of its usefulness to me.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com